A horrible news item on the TV. Two "thugs" in Little Rock shot the ice cream man. Well, it was a woman, really, but how horrible--they shot the poor young woman who is driving the ice cream truck. I mean, can we sink any lower? The bell rings and kids run out to pick out a tasty frozen pop or a scoop and then the shooting starts. Man, it takes all kinds (of scum) these days...I mean, shooting the ice cream truck driver. Depressing to say the least.
We used to sit at the living room window out on the Redfield Road and watch for Mr. Earl, the grocery man. He or one of his workers would deliver the food in a little red Ford truck. We'd get all excited, looking for Mr. Earl's truck to round the bend down by Mable's house. He would bring the groceries in in a wire basket. Momma would have us all worked up over the groceries coming and we'd promptly help her put them away. Sometimes, we would get Popsicles and they sure were good. Occasionally, we would be treated to a Coke, in the small bottles with the town name on the bottom of the bottle. Momma would put them in the freezer on top of the ice box and the Coke would freeze in the bottle. Then, she'd poke a hole in the metal lid with an ice pick and we would suck on the frozen mixture for a good hour or two. Man, she was smart. It was her way of treating us AND keeping us quiet. She was something, all right.
In other thoughts. I played six straight days of golf last week. SIX! You talk about whuped. I was tired and disgusted when it was all over. My partner Mike played good enough to get us almost in the lead in the big tournament at Batesville and then his luck went sour the last day with some twisting three-putts and I couldn't do much to help him.
My adventure started with my old political buddies in a three-day retreat up in the mountains. We had fun at Batesville and Greers Ferry and then I was back in Batesville for the three days of the tournament. Made some impressive shots along the way--including two chip ins--but I sure was tired at the end. I know now why the big boys on the tour have to take an occasional break. It's more mental than anything, but I love it. In fact, I'm hurrying thru this writing to get to Pine Bluff to play in a charitable event at noon today. Then.....I'm going to do some bassin'.
The twins are still progressing. Gaining weight and all and are slated to go home with proud parents in about a week. They sure are pretty and I loved holding them and feeding them at the hospital. Peanut posted a bunch of photos the daughter sent us of me holding them. It's a weird feeling, having twin granddaughters.
Not much more to "allow" on this post. I'll write more next time, but I gotta run on over to the Bluff City for the tourney. It ought to be fun.
That's all for this time, til next time, thanks for your time.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment