Watched the Hogs blow a 13-point lead against Kentucky in last 4 and a half minutes last night. Boy, if Houston Dale had called plays like that they would have strung him up at that big church up in Springdale. Oh well, I've written them off for this season. Be glad when the Roundballers take the court. I have hope with them.
Been on the road some. Big golf trip to Mississippi with 23 other guys. Spent our time in Choctaw Indian casino and the beautiful PGA Dancing Rabbit golf course. The two courses are first-class and I even hit some slots at the casino. First vacation I ever took when I had more money when I got home than when I left. And I opened my golf outing with an eagle 3 on a par 5. Wow!
Since my last blog, I've also gone bow hunting with my new crossbow. And, guess what? Beginner's luck, I guess you'd say, but I bagged one first trip out. Shot it at 50 steps and the arrow took a toll. It was weird, not hearing a loud shot and all. But I like it and I'm going again.
My sis Nita took a bit of a fall...really a "twist" in her living room as she tumbled into her musical organ and broke a bone in her foot and a toe. She's laid up for a spell and we're trying to comfort her as much as she will let us. She's tough, though, and hard to take care of. I called the other night and told her I had her a piece of lemon pie. She said no, not that she didn't want it, but sister Bet had gotten the jump on it and baked her a whole lemon pie. Oh well.
Visiting the Indian territory in Mississippi made me think more of my land here, on Lancaster Hill. I looked at it at sunset tonight, out on my deck, and wondered what it must have looked like here, with the Quapaws villaged here, their teepees and such on the hillside by the creek, all of them busy with their horses, probably walking in the woods, looking for deer and such. It must have been beautiful back then, and peaceful. I feel all of that at times when I look at the land and let my thoughts roam. I think we're all connected to the past in ways we don't always understand. Maybe never understand, really.
Christmas is coming soon and because some have asked...really, some have...I'll write here how to order my book, Benchwarmer, in case you're interested in ordering some for Christmas gifts. Go the to Phoenixbase.com web site and the information should be there. If not, contact me.
(Great) Nephew Chris and new bride Lauren have moved in nextdoor, in Joy's house, and we're glad they are our neighbors. It's good to see their lights on over there at night. Joy would have liked that, knowing (little) Chris is taking over. I sure do miss her, really bad at times, sometimes, not so bad. I miss her smile. I was down at the old house recently, doing some picking up, and I ran across a great big blackandwhite photo of her. I placed it in the front bedroom and she looks so happy. I lucked out on sisters...and brothers...not to mention maw and paw.
I'll be in the deer woods in earnest soon as the so called regular gun season comes in in November. I love to smell the woods in the autumn--hard to explain to some I suppose. But it's nice to be out there amongst the creatures, to see the sun come up and then watch it go down. The moon was full the other night as I drove home from the camp, and the big river bottom was all lit up, like a giant spotlight in the heavens. You could see forever. The moon is so crisp and full and bright in the colder months, the air cold and pure and illuminated. A morning or two later, the first bunch of wintering geese flew over the big timber, a sure sign that winter is approaching. God, I love the cool air. My lungs are refreshing again.
I spent a day in Little Rock with the governor and our little buddy group. It was a special gathering, a day to honor our friend Bill Gwatney. We played golf, our first outing in his honor, and we competed for the first Chairman's Cup, a nice trophy in Bill's honor, a tropy complete with his picture. The familiar pose, the one with his patented big smile. What a tragedy, to lose him so tragically, at such a young age. His young wife, Rebecca, dined with us after the golf event and she looked and sounded better. What an awful time for her, but she is a survivor.
Gotta go. That's all for this time, til next time, thanks for your time.
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment