Luke Bo Duke surprised me and Peanut with a 9:30 p.m. phone call to say he'd lost his first tooth. I told him that means he's officially on his way to becoming a big boy. Man, Luke losing a tooth! Time sure gets away from us. Seems like yesterday we were looking at him in the 'spital, worried sick about his delicate condition and now he's calling and laughing about his tooth coming out.
The call came right after the Hogs fell to the Vols. We were outmanned, seriously outmanned, and we regressed back into the way we were playing the first of the season. Beverley's got to get it in his thick head that he can't come out of the blocks fouling. When we lose him to early foul trouble, we're toast.
Headin' to the fishin' hole in the morning with my buddy Broad. We've been chasing those wily bass since first grade and we still can't get our fill. It'll be frosty at first light, but warming to 60 by mid-day and that'll be nice. I did pretty well at this reservoir last year.
I've got two big bass at the taxidermist now, from a November trip with brother-in-law Joe Boyd. Back-to-back throws with a spinner bait and I was looking at the two biggest bass I ever hauled in. It was incredible...that day...and Joe had to twist my arm to even go. I'll be eternally grateful to him--specially when I get the lunkers back from the taxidermist and up on the wall. Like I need another thing on my study wall, but these things were huge--my catch of a lifetime and I been at it a longgggggg time.
Tragic news just up the road from us a few hours ago. About five o'clock, sirens everywhere and we learn a young skateboarder, eighth-grader, lost his life when he skated out in front of a car. Up by Little Creek Church, just up the road here. Those things, skateboards, sure look dangerous to me. Lots rather have my kid on a bike, or even a motorcycle. Such a waste.
Had a pleasant chat with our governor today. He called mid-afternoon and I was shopping at the Sheridan Wal-Mart. It was good to put my grocery shopping on hold a few minutes to catch up with him. He's been swamped of late, with the tornadoes and all, touring the hard-hit areas and dealing with all the gov-mut red tape involved in the cleanup and salvage work. Your heart goes out to those people...hard-working folks who lost everything in the blink of an eye. I have a friend whose brother drove to Atkins to volunteer with the cleanup. Those things can also bring out the best in people, too.
Not much else. Had a bit of a run-in with the U.S. Post Office today. They sold be some rolls of stamps several months ago and they turned out to be 26-centers instead of 41s. I've been using them for several months and didn't even know til my mail carrier caught it. They apologized for the error, checked their computer and sure enough, said they goofed. This was shortly before noon and the nice lady said they'd try not to mess things up again. Five hours later, sis called from next door to say the new mail carrier left my mail over at her house today. This was about six hours after the Fed Ex man left my mail-ordered medicine at the old house down the road. And we wonder why our luggage gets lost.
That's all for this time, 'til next time, thanks for your time.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment