"Is that Joy?"
Part of the Saturday afternoon was spent watching Buzzard's wonderful VCR tape, the one with old family "films" from yesteryear. What a treat. I was captivated by old faces and I hope to watch it again and again.
It was weird. I had forgotten how mother talked, how she "sounded" and it was so wonderful to sit and listen to her lengthy "interview" with her beloved Buzz, her story of how she and her Speck family arrived in Arkansas on the wagon.
She talked about how she and Dad borrowed Uncle Carney's car to go to an FFA party during Harold's high school years. They were planning on walking to town for the event because they walked about everywhere, she recalled. "If it was too far to walk" Daddy didn't go, she said with a laugh. Sounds like Daddy.
But they went in the borrowed car and came out of the party only to discover that all four of their tires were missing. She remembers the sheriff caught the culprits and rounded up Carney and Aunt Kate's tires the next day. I bet Aunt Kate was doing some loud, serious complaining to the sheriff, don't you know.
But the "film" is wonderful, a grainy old look back, how much we loved each other--you can see it in all of the millions of smiles, everybody always smiling. The wonderful photos of Nita and good looking Lee Ester and those three "perfect" little kids. Tommy was so handsome, in his white jacket, and Karen had to be the cutest little girl in the world. And Buzzard, always in motion, spinning and twisting and blowing out birthday candles.
The old house, which seems to tiny now, was plenty big for all of us in the Christmas shots, Karen standing next to Pap to help him with the presents. And Leslie sitting with her idols, Laura and Sandi...and Eric and Scott and all of 'em in their cool sunglasses.
Even Brother Ted Herscher, Daddy's favorite preacher, is riding a bike with Nita and Lee's kids and ends up juggling. I didn't remember him being so talented.
But I'm so glad Buzz saved this stuff and put it together--much of it to timely tunes--because it lifted me so high this day, seeing Momma and Daddy again, and Joy and Brother and Lee. In the interview, Mom hears a noise outside and leans into the camera. "Is that Joy?" she asks excitedly. She was so excited, speechless, to know Joy had dropped in...just like we all were.
I'll close now...little choked up. Guess I said all I can say right now.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment