Thursday, June 26, 2008

Joe Boyd, Maters, Kentucks and Grass

I went with Bet and Joe to the spital Monday morning. Joe was slated for k-stone surgery, an outpatient procedure but still serious. Well, after many hours in the waiting room, the (nice) doctor emerged to say things were fine and the stone, well, was gone once they got in there to remove it. A miracle! We brought him home and he's doing better and we're all relieved for a spell. I phoned Nita from the spital to give her surgery update and told her, "the stone was rolled away."

Got a first taste of homegrown tomatoes the other day...some small cherry ones from Jim's garden. Joe and I picked the garden while Jim and Betty were away in San An Tone and I grabbed up six or seven of the tiny ones and made my first of the year bacon and tomato sandwich. Hard to put into words, ain't it. But not hard to put in my mouth. Can't wait for the bigger ones. I also picked a few blackberries from Jim's vines and made my first blackberry cobbler from scratch. Pretty good if I do say so. Took Nita a bowl of it and she bragged, too, but she always does that--brags on me.

Me and John and Tom floated the Saline River last Friday. Put the boat in at Prattsville bridge and 12 long hours later, took out at Jenkins Ferry. It was a long day, but we really hauled in some nice, fat Kentucky bass...about 45. Kept 19 for Tom to filet and he said they sure were tasty. I knew it was a 12 hour float, remembering this from long-ago days when I floated this strip of the river quite regularly. We had 10 or so "pullovers"--where you get out of the boat and pull it over the logjams. Man, you talk about whipped at the end of the day. I could bearly talk and walk when I got home, all muddy and pitiful. Slept good, though and it sure was nice to be back on the river...conjured up lots of nice memories of pap and Harold etc....shore do miss em.

Trying to keep up the mowing, but the grass is growing so fast I'm bout whupped. It sure looks pretty when I'm finished, though. Janice said the place looks like a park and it does. You ought to see the deer walking around in the twilight, munching the pretty grass and tender leaves on the bushes. A buck is already putting down a scrape up by the pond, a little early but I guess he's telling the other bucks to steer clear of his territory. We have lots of deer and other animals on the place now.

I gotta doctor's appointment in the morn...my old broken heel from 1999 deer hunting accident acting up. Can't hardly walk on it at times and I'm sure hoping it ain't broke again. Looked like an egg shell in 99, broke in 7 tiny chips. It started hurting after my recent golf outing at Batesville and I couldn't walk for a couple of days. And I re-aggravated it Monday when I played in the big Pat Summerall charity golf event at LR so I need to see my doctor. I got my photo in the paper at that event...you might have seen it...me and old Jermain Taylor, the boxing champ sitting in our golf carts, laughin and carrying on. It was a good picture and I've gotten calls and letters about it from old pals around the state. My playing partners that day included my fine son, Eric Jason, and Coach Frank Broyles. Coach is 81 but he still plays good golf...specially putting. He sure was nice and gracious and he phoned Ray Tucker, my friend, after the event and asked Ray for my mailing address and Eric's address so he could send us a nice thank you for playing with him and being so nice. We shot a 14-under-par and still finished out of the money. Oh well....

Our church is searching for a preacher and me and Peanut took a prospect and his wife to lunch after church last Sunday. He's from W. Memphis and he's 72 and wanting to retire away from Memphis area...who can blame him. We are not sure yet what to do in our search, but it will continue and we sure are trying hard to keep our little church afloat. It sure is a pretty little church and we have 4 new windows arriving by fall--one of them in honor of sweet sister Joy, and one of them in honor of sweet brother Harold. Thanks to Roy and Janice for footing the bill on these two additions. But our church really will shine once they're in.

Fourth of July at our house. Leslie phoned a little while ago and me and Peanut will put the plans in motion in next day or two. Burgers and hot dogs and we can all chip in with various dishes. At least that's my thinkin rat now.

Congrats to Sandi's boys on their sports...Mason for winning a golf tourney and Lance (the cannon) for baseball prowess. They're really something special.

Well, better run. That's all for this time, til next time, thanks for your time.

No comments: