Tuesday, March 4, 2008

In like a lamb...

I guess March "blew" in lamb-like, in easy-enough fashion, warm temps and all, and then the snow. Peanut's pap says 13 inches up in the mountains and I bet it was pretty, up there at Nebo land. Bout the time the gobblers are set to tune up, the "white stuff" (the TV boys always say that) appears. Here, it snowed about an inch or so and the oaks were beautiful, each little limb outlined as pretty as I've ever seen them. All along the Little Creek bottom, where bro-in-law Roy ventured out bravely with his Kodak to snap some pretty shots.

Wal-Mart was swamped, of course, the milk-and-bread people out in force. Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode I wrote several years ago, entitled "The Blizzard of 96." It was a high point in my writing career, the call I got from Hollywood saying my script had won approval. Mine was to be script 113, the producer lady saying they had 112 already ahead of me, but I was still overjoyed, knowing they liked it, liked me, liked what I'd put on paper for Jerry and Elaine and George and Kramer, how Kramer strolled out into the New York blizzard to buy bread only to get run over by the bread truck. Elaine shows up at a TV interview with Jerry and does an emergency stand-in as the weathergirl. And Jerry debates when the windchill ends and the heat index begins. "I mean, why can't we have a wind chill in the summer?" he asks his mom on the phone.

Anyway, I still remember some of the words and I have my copy of the script here somewhere around the house. I've re-read it a couple of times and still like it. Oh, and it never made it to film as you know...a few weeks after I got my call, Jerry announced he was retiring the show. And they still had more than three years of scripts in the can. But, he went out on top and I give him high marks for that.

Got tickets to the upcoming regional NCAA's at Alltel...it ought to be a blast! Probably get to see Memphis, maybe Tennessee, one of which will probably get the Number 1 seed. Hogs could surprise, but I am doubtful of their chances since they have to play away from Walton.

Not much else to report. We survived a week of flu, down and pretty bummed out. Now Sis next door is snifflin' with it and I just hate that. I'd rather have it myself than see my loved ones down. I hate the stuff and I hate flu season. It's the only thing that makes we wish for warm weather.

I picked up another nice art piece, this one from a local lady who is putting her brushes aside after 70-plus years. She's so talented and so nice to call and invite us over to make a selection. What an honor and she was so happy that I love art so much. Once you have these nice originals around, you are lost without them. The new one hangs nicely in the green room where our guests spend the night.

Must run. I'm glad I had time to update the blog so Triple L up in the hills won't be fussin' at Peanut about my laziness.

That's all for this time, til' next time, thanks for your time.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Finally an update! You've been pretty lazy lately! Was there a tornado in Grant County? I heard a 5 second snip about it on the news and then nothing else.